Google Fonts, Google Analytics, and performance

(05-18-2014).

TL;DR: without Google script and font

Website Speed Test pingdom.com results.

Twice as fast

I had already chosen to do without any JavaScript library on this site, but I decided to go one step further and remove the Google font and Analytics script.

By doing this, I cut the HTTP Requests and Page size in half! Which made the page twice as fast (450ms vs. 989ms). See before and after results from webpagetest.org.

If you look at those results you’ll see that I am not using a CDN. This is because using one did not show any significant improvment while adding complexity to my workflow.

I got the analytics covered with sawmill but I’m missing "Economica", which is better looking than the font-families I chose to replace it with (I may change my mind about this though.)